The idea for this double-decker cookie was taken directly from Bridget's (Bake at 350) great idea. Take a peek at her cute double-decker cookies here, here, and here. Told ya they were cute! I'm a fan, that's for sure!
I really enjoyed watching these cookies take shape. I think the double-decker bug is catchy, and I have some ideas for more variations in the works.
The only block of time that I could find to make these cookies was when the sun went down, so unfortunately I don't have any steps photographed. I will plan better next time, and include a tutorial, but I have included the steps required to make these flag cookies:)
Double~Decker Flag Cookies
(Double-Decker cookies adapted from Bake at 350)
1. Make and bake the sugar cookies:) (I used a 3.5-inch scalloped, square cookie cutter, and a 1.5-inch star cutter for the shapes.) Let the cookies coo completely.
2. Using an edible marker(and ruler) draw a template of the stripes onto the cookie.
3. Make some royal icing. Tint some of it red, some of it blue (just enough for the stars and dots), and leave some of it white.
4. Outline the entire flag template in white royal icing (thicker consistency for outlining) with a #2 tip. Let dry for about 15 minutes.
5. Thinning the royal icing to a "fill" consistency, load up a frosting bag, and with a #3 tip, fill in every other stripe with white royal icing. Let dry for at least an hour.
6. While the white stripes dry, outline (#2 tip) and fill in the stars (#3 tip) with the blue icing. Set them aside.
7. After the white stripes have set up, fill an icing bag with the red icing("fill" consistency) and using a #3 tip, fill in the remaining alternate stripes. (Save some thicker royal icing (any color) to adhere the stars to the flags when they are completely dry.)
8. Let cookies dry completely. I let them dry overnight.
9. Apply the sugar to the stars by combining 1/4 teaspoon of meringue powder with 1/4 teaspoon water. Apply to iced stars with a small, clean paint brush. Immediately sprinkle with blue sugar and shake off excess.
10. Using the royal icing as paste, apply some to the back of the star cookies, and press them gently onto the flags.
11. With a #2 tip, apply blue royal icing dots evenly around the perimeter of the flag cookies.
12. Let dry.
Voila~Double Decker Flag cookies! Perfect for the 4th of July!
Try your own double-decker cookies. You may get hooked too!
Thanks for the cookie inspiration, Bridget!
The SprinkleBakes Book winner is: Mari!