Well, it's that time again. The end of summer is ushering in the start of another school year. This year two of my grandsons are starting kindergarten. Zeke began Monday and Jake starts Tuesday. I know they will both do well, just like my two granddaughters, Karaline and Megan, have done before them. That will make half of my grandchildren officially in school!
To celebrate school being in session, I made these cookies for all of eight of my munchkins, students or not. I want them to know that grandma's love is with them each and every day.
I was going to make the cookies with the look of notebook paper, but decided to use the paper style that primary students use in school. It was a very easy cookie to make and I love how they turned out. Simple and cute is my favorite cookie combination!
Writing Tablet Love Note Cookies
Black gel food coloring
Blue edible marker
1. Roll out the cookie dough. Using a rectangular cookie cutter, cut out the cookies from the dough about 3/8-in. thick and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
2. Bake cookies at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or just until starting to brown around the edges. Let cool.
3. Mix royal icing (Set a small amount aside for the black lettering). With a #3 tip, outline the cookies. Let dry for about 15 minutes and then fill the cookies with the royal icing.
4. Let cookies dry completely 6-8 hours, or overnight.
5. Using a blue edible marker (I used AmeriColor Gourmet Writer) and a ruler, make solid blue lines and broken lines across the cookie (as pictured). I used a real page from a primary writing tablet to serve as a guide.
6. Add black food coloring (I used AmeriColor Gel Paste Super Black) to the reserved royal icing. Mix well. Using a small tip (1.5 or 2) add your messages to the cookies. Let dry completely.
Share these cookies with those you love.