A geeky baby shower you ask? Yep, that is exactly the kind of baby shower that suits Jennifer of Not Your Momma's Cookie, perfectly:) She loves all things geek! And of course we mean geeky in the best possible way! BTW, Don't you just love her NoYoMoCo abbreviation? :)
I was thrilled when the super-creative and talented cookiers, Hani (Haniela's) and Mike (SemiSweet) invited me to this virtual baby shower for Jennifer, but as I later prepared the cookies, my mind had somehow switched from geek to nerd. As I was putting this post together and read the particulars again, I realized it stated a "geeky" shower theme, not a "nerdy"one?!? I was sort of in a panic because just recently a co-worker attempted to explain to me the nerd vs. geek distinction. I have to admit I had a hard time distinguishing the difference?!? It's a fine line, I tell ya!
They were directly inspired by adorable cookies from Sugarbelle, and Make Bake Celebrate! Their cookies were "chocolate chip", but I thought that colorful sprinkles would be more fitting for a baby girl's shower.
(I used Sugarbelle's FREE template(#3) for the glasses-royal icing transfers. Be sure and read her tips and instructions for success with royal icing transfers. Thanks, Callye!)
Jennifer, With these cookies comes my sincere CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your sweet baby girl! I wish you nothing but the best as you begin your new adventures as a family of three!
I hope you enjoy your baby shower and feel the cookie love!
Geeky Sugar Cookies with Sprinkles (jimmies)
I batch of sugar cookie dough
I batch of royal icing
Black gel food coloring
Ivory gel food coloring
White sprinkles (nonpareils)
Glasses template (for royal icing transfers)
1. Using the eyeglass template prepare the glasses in advance according to directions, and giving them at least 24 hours to dry. (Don't forget to add the tape for the full geek effect:))
2. Roll out the sugar cookie dough to your desired thickness (I usually roll it out about 3/8-inch thick).
3. Cut out cookies with round cutter (mine was 2.5-inches) and place on baking sheet.
4. Bake according to recipe.
5. Add a drop or two of ivory coloring to some of the royal icing.
6. With a #3 tip outline and fill the cookies with the ivory icing.
7. Wile the icing is still wet, gently place the eyeglasses transfer on the cookie.
8. Immediately following the eyeglasses, place the jimmies on each cookie with the tweezers(be sure and leave an empty spot for the smile).
9. After about an hour, I went ahead and added the black tinted royal icing for the eye detail and then dropped in the white sprinkle while the black was still wet. Let cookies dry completely, overnight is best.
10. Add the smile with the black royal icing and a #2 tip. (I suppose you could add the smile after the cookies have dried a couple of hours, but since black sometimes "bleeds", I wanted to prevent that from happening by letting the cookie dry overnight, especially since I had the time.)
Be SURE and visit the other guests at the shower and their geeky baby shower cookies!
2. ROBOT GIRL COOKIES by Michelle from Make Me Cake.Me.
3. HUNGER GAMES BABY SHOWER COOKIES by Mike from Semi Sweet
4. BABY RATTLE CALCULATOR by Hani from Haniela's
5. GEEK CHIC COOKIES by Kim from The Partiologist
6. GEEKY SUGAR COOKIES by Sue from Munchkin Munchies
7. BABY GEEK COOKIES by Lisa from The Bearfoot Baker
I'm Lovin' it Party
Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday