I made these cookies (one dozen) as part of a "Giving the Gift of 'Thank You' Project" created by big-hearted Anita, of Sweet Hope Cookies, in remembrance of her brother, Randy, who died of ALS.
The cookies (60 dozen) will be distributed to ALS patients as a way for each of them to thank their caretakers. It's amazing how a simple cookie can brighten someone's day:)
The colors of the rainbow and bunting are two of my favorite things, so combining them makes for one happy cookie in my book.
I also like twine:) Hopefully you can tell the bunting is hanging from "twine".
Thanks Anita, for all that you do for others, and giving me the opportunity to help out in some small way!
Rainbow Bunting Cookies
Edible markers, red and black
Gel food coloring (rainbow colors)
Plaque cookie cutter (3-in. x 5-in.)
1. Prepare cookie dough
2. Roll out dough about 3/8-inch and place on lined baking sheet. (I then place in the freezer for 10 min. to hold the shape.)
3. Bake according to recipe, or until starting to brown lightly on the edges.
4. Let cookies cool completely.
5. Prepare royal icing, and divide into 7 separate containers. (Be sure to reserve a larger portion for the blue sky.)
6. Add a different gel color to each portion.
7. Outline the cookies with a #3 tip and the sky blue royal icing.
8. Fill the cookies with the sky blue royal icing.
9. Let the cookies dry for 6-8 hours or overnight.
10. Using a small tip (I used PME 1.5 tip) add the white "string" for the buntings and let it crust(dry).
11. Using the small tip, add each of the royal icing colored triangles to the cookies (I did all the purples, then blues, etc...).
12. Let the cookies dry 6-8 hours or overnight.
13. Using the red marker to add lines to the string to resemble twine. (Next time I will do this before I add the flags.)
14. Use the black marker to add the letters for a message.